Monday, August 5, 2013

Saturday in Northern Romania

Leaving Putna behind, we set out for Day 2 in northern Romania.  As usual, I have no idea where we are going.  I've come to accept that.

We stopped at two castles. The first, Castle Suceava, was undergoing extensive renovation so we didn't stay long.  But Castle Neamt, built in the 14th century, was a big hit with the kids.  To reach the castle, we climbed up a long, steep hill.  Each time I thought we reached the top, the path turned and there was yet another climb ahead.  The Turks invaded this castle in the 14th century, the Hungarians in the 15th century, and the Poles in the 17th century.  I doubt their leaders were very popular with the troops.

Christina, a volunteer mom on the trip












My camera is broken, so I've reverted to my iPad.  The kids were fascinated by it.

                     
What is it?


We stopped at an unusual roadside monument.  It's a big hand.  I was told it was erected to honor the workers who built the road we were traveling on.  I can't figure out what the hand is holding.  Any ideas?

Another stop was the Ion Creanga house and museum.  Creanga was a famous writer from Moldova of children's books.  It looked like something out of Mother Goose, so I am assuming that the museum was a recreation of some of his stories. While we were there, another group, dressed in traditional Romanian outfits, arrived.  I thought they were part of the entertainment, but they were just visitors too.  We stole a few pictures with them.

Ion Creanga Museum

Our last stop was the nature preserve.  This was a rather small "zoo", but a nice opportunity for  kids to run around and see animals they don't usually see. There was only one path (uphill again) and 5-6 animal exhibits -- brown bear, peacock, bull, bison, reindeer, some variety of a chicken and what I think was ibex.  They were quite surprised when I told them that deer are very common in Ohio (in fact, actually a nuisance).

Coffee break for the chaperones
We were all pretty tired when the buses reached the school.  The kids were in high spirits as they met their parents.  A teacher told me that one of her students said it had been the greatest trip of his life.  I'm glad I was part of this special experience for them.

A note aout the Romanian educational system.  A primary school teacher here teaches the same students for grades 1-4, teaching 1st grade, then 2nd grade, etc.  So, the bonds between the students and the teachers are very strong.  Primary school teachers do not need to have college degrees (although some do).  However, they do need to pass a qualifying exam each year.  Alternatively, they can take a much more difficult exam to receive a lifetime qualification.  Some of the teachers I've met are in the midst of these exams now.  Students who did not pass their grade at the end of the school year are also in the midst of exams. They have a second chance to pass and move up a grade before school starts in September.

When I visited some of the schools, I saw very large ledger books in which all student exam scores for all subjects are maintained, as well as their attendance record.  It's all done by hand, nothing on computer.  I thought some of you might like to see (or remember) pre-computerized databases.





No comments:

Post a Comment