Saturday, August 10, 2013

Friendship Day


I received a text message from a friend in India Sunday morning that said, "Happy Friendship Day!"  I'm so lucky to have such thoughtful friends in different parts of the world.  Thanks, Siva, for your message.  I spread the message to my new friends here in Romania.

This morning, a group of us went to Adam (pronounced ah-DAHM) Forest, just a short drive from Barlad.  Our group was Daniel (middle school principal) and three teachers --Donna (Science), Simona (Religion) and Corinna (Kindergarten).

Our first stop was the local farmer's market.  We bought cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, bananas, peaches, and a watermelon.  Here are some pics from the market.



















Countryside surrounding Adam Monastery
We visited Adam Monastery in the forest.  OMG!  The scenery there was breathtaking!  I know my pictures don't do it justice.  It just might be the most tranquil place I have ever visited.  Corinna grew up in a village near Adam.  This was her church.  It was a bit of a homecoming for her as she lives in the city now.  She took me inside the church which was ornately painted like the other monasteries I have seen.  There was a beautiful icon of the Virgin Mary that is believed to have worked miracles.  Sorry, no pictures allowed inside.


At Adam Monastery







Adam Monastery


Church Bell at Adam Monastery
Outside the church, I snapped a picture of children enjoying coliva.  Coliva is made of boiled wheat, raisins, and sweet ingredients like honey, sugar, or chocolate (the recipe varies region to region).  The coliva is blessed in the church and offered to people as they leave.
Enjoying coliva after church service

I heard the story of how the church bell is rung when a storm is approaching.  I thought it might be used as a warning to the farmers, but was told that the villagers believe it will keep the storm away.  Donna, the science teacher, explained there is some basis in physics for this in that the bell's vibration can dissipate storm clouds.  But the villagers are mostly uneducated, and will continue to believe in the supernatural power of the bell.

Also within Adam Forest is one of Ceausescu's hunting houses.  He loved to hunt bears and wild pigs.  He had 2,000 such houses throughout Romania.  The one we saw is now a grandiose, vacant property, in the middle of nowhere, as I suspect most of the rest of them are too.

Ceausescu's hunting house in Adam
Simona couldn't resis climbing the 500 year old tree on the property and dared the rest of us to join her.



We found a nice spot in the forest to spread out our blanket and enjoy our lunch.  I worked on my Romanian a bit, and they worked on their English.  We spent several hours relaxing, chatting, eating, and just enjoying the scenery and each other's company.  As is always the case among friends, the language barrier was no real obstacle to communication.  The teachers made me feel very welcome and accepted into their group.  I can't think of a better way to have spent Friendship Day.



Simona, me, Daniel, Corinna

1 comment:

  1. Romania has much history which unfortunately is not publicized in America. You're doing such a nice job Mary of bringing Romanian history,landscape,and culture in to our homes. Interesting comment about the ease of communication even with a different language being spoken. People from all parts of the world share certain commonalities that are intuitively understood. Going forward I'm sure you'll always remember what you did on Friendship Day 2013.

    ReplyDelete