Friday, August 16, 2013

Ciucas Mountain



Aug. 8, 2013

Our hike on Red Mountain turned out to be a practice run.   The main attraction in Chea is Ciucas (pronounced CHEW-kash) Mountain.  Our mission:  to reach the top (elevation 1,954 meters).  The estimated hiking time was 6 hours  (would that mean 12 hours for us?).

It doesn't take long to understand why we needed yesterday's practice hike.  This hike is much more challenging with steeper hills, rockier paths, and more obstacles.   I'm near the end of the pack.  When our line of hikers slows to a snail's pace, I know there is something difficult to navigate ahead.  At one point, we reach a particularly treacherous turn (at least for me).   One at a time, we cling to the mountain and tread sideways on a narrow shelf of uneven rock. Our fearless leader, Cornel, positions himself between each hiker and the precipitous cliff, while Dan extends a hand to pull each of us across.


The treacherous turn (Cornel in red, Dan in green)

It is incredibly hot, and we stop at a stream to cool off a bit.  The cold water feels REALLY good!  We have a long way to go yet, so we don't rest for long.  Back on our feet.  Keep climbing.





The mountain is beautiful.  Sure, we're getting tired, but the scenery and the views on the way up are simply spectacular.  Pictures can never do it justice.
Eventually, we reach a plateau.  Having no experience with mountain hiking, when I see everyone put down the backpacks and take out a snack, I think we've reached the top.  But no, it's only a temporary respite.  Dan offers me a biscuit which I decline thinking it will only make me more thirsty and I'm rationing my water supply.  But he insists I'll need the energy for the next part of the climb.  I take his advice.  Lesson 3:  In life, as in mountain climbing, take advantage of every plateau.

Taking advantage of the plateau

We continue on.  Much to my surprise, we come to a paved road.  The children yell and wave at every truck that goes by, and the truckers beep their horns.  This part of the hike is easy.  Good.  I've earned an easy walk for awhile.  We pass by some villagers hauling wood.  Daniel explainsthat their foresting is illegal, but they have little choice to support their families. 

Illegal foresters
Next, I see this road sign:


5 more kilometers?  Well, I've trained for a 5K, and I know I can manage that distance, and on a paved road this will be a piece of cake.  We walk a bit further.  Cornel then explains that he has called ahead and a truck will be coming to take us the rest of the way.   OK, so this is good.  I hang out with the kids waiting for the truck.   These are the vehicles that show up:




I'm not kidding.  25 children and 9 adults pile into these two trucks.  What a ride!  I'm sitting in the front seat next to the driver, and I hear the kids in the open truck behind me screaming and laughing at every twist and turn.  I'm not a car expert, but I know the smell of a burning engine, and I am doubtful that the truck is going to make it up the hill.



At long last, we arrive at Cabana Ciucas.  Exhausted, we slide onto benches in the dining room, ready for a hearty, rewarding lunch.  Big bowls of steaming hot soup and freshly baked bread are served.  Yes, this is the life!  We're relaxing, laughing, enjoying our success.  


Arrival at Cabana Ciucas




Relaxing at Cabana Ciucas

Then, it's time to move on.  Move on?  This isn't the top?  Nope.  We're only about 2/3 up the mountain.  "From here on up, there aren't any trees or shady spots.  Wear you hats, put on your sunscreen.  Let's get going before the weather shifts".  With full bellies and refilled water bottles, we continue on.


The final third of the hike up



Along the way, the children bring me some wild mountain berries.  They are delicious.  Our breakfast tea is made from them.  I had hoped to find some packaged tea to bring home, but I think it's the kind of thing you can only enjoy if you live there.

At a gorgeous overlook, Daniel joins me in a few yoga stretches. We talked about introducing the children to yoga, but we never quite worked it into the schedule.


Picking mountain berries



At the next plateau, I see writing on the mountain.  I think this must be the peak, with a congratulatory message from a previous hiker.  Wrong again.  But still, it was a chance to give our legs a break, take in some inspiring words, and continue on.
Translation:  Be a friend with God, and your life will be happy.



As usual, I'm near the back of the line.  I see children ahead of me running and laughing, standing on top of a rock and snapping pictures.  That's it!  That MUST be the top.  With one more burst of energy, I pick up my pace to join them.  I pose for pictures like everyone else, with a big smile of victory.




Wait a minute.  Where is everyone going?  Isn't the way down in the other direction?  No, we're not at the top yet?  I can't believe it.





We finally DO reach the top.  The view is spectacular.  We can see for miles in every directions.  Sheep are grazing in the fields.  The quiet and the solitude are breathtaking. 

At the peak of Ciucas Mountain, with Ana and Geta















I'm quite certain this has been the most physically challenging thing I have ever accomplished.  
Lesson 4:  The more difficult the challenge, the more satisfying the reward.





1 comment:

  1. I know I said this morning I had already seen this but there was a nagging feeling that just maybe I had confused this blog with another one. I had! My jaws dropped after viewing. Each blog seems to get better and better. This one was no exception. I think you saved the best for last. Spectacular photos of the mountain side, the narrative was fascinating.. and the pictures of you.... well, I've never seen so many pictures of a smiling Mary at one time. The rigors of mountain climbing and being stuffed in cramped trucks did nothing to diminish that look of yours. WOW! The yoga pose, and the look at the end... happy, content , accomplished.. striking sweetheart. I felt it all. Thank you! Take me with you next time.

    ReplyDelete